Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Cold Weather & Cold Coffee

Brr... It's cold outside!! I always seem to think that the cold weather is going to disappear right along with my Christmas decorations as soon as the holidays are over, but jokes on me. It's not getting any warmer in our neck of the woods!

Puffy outer layers, warm socks & tights and of course, the best lotion & chapstick to fight dry winter skin are some of our favorite things right now! :) And with Valentine's Day right around the corner, we are ready for a little PINK in our lives.





The cold weather also calls for cozy, sweater one piece outfits on the days that we aren't rocking our pajamas.




One of the biggest bummers about winter weather is that it keeps you cooped up inside. I hate to bundle up Harper just to go out for a few errands. Which is why I am so very excited about the iced coffee that I have been able to make at home with our new Keurig! We got the Keurig Elite for Christmas from my parents (thanks mom & dad!) & right away I was determined to get a good iced coffee out of it.

You can see it here in my oversized mason jar (aka. the only way to drink a homemade iced coffee).

For those of you who have asked, here is the low down.
Rather than buy the k-cups made specifically for iced coffee (which you have to brew over ice), I use the Starbucks Breakfast Blend K-Cups & a metal cocktail shaker as my mug. I brew these as a medium coffee (ours has 3 sizes, this is the 8 oz size), so they are quite a bit stronger, right into the cocktail shaker. As soon as it is done brewing, put it directly into the freezer (hence why you must use metal & not glass/porcelain). Since it is a relatively small amount of coffee, it is usually cooled off in five or so minutes.
Then, just pour over ice, add cream if you wish (I use just a splash of half & half) & ENJOY!

30 comments:

  1. harper is so cute with her lil bow!!! she makes me want to have a lil girl asap! lol maybe some day
    the sweet life of a southern wife

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the puffy white vest from North Face! I tried to order the gap one piece outerwear this weekend and they were sold out of the larger sizes, bummer. I agree love drinking out of mason jars!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Harper's bow is ADORABLE!!! I can't wait to dress my little girl up in tutus and hair bows! I just hope she keeps them in her hair like Harper appears to!.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really am liking this blogging every other day stuff :)!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Harper is the cutest ever! My newest daughter wants nothing to do with bows! Love your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love super strong iced coffee as well and used to use your freezer technique. Now I just make an iced coffee concentrate. I make a big pitcher of it and it lasts my husband and I for one to two weeks. http://www.bonappetit.com/recipes/2012/07/cold-brew-iced-coffee-concentrate

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't know if you have mentioned it, but what high chair is that. We have a big, padded one and I have a feeling I will get sick of cleaning the grooves quickly!
    Thanks, love you blog!
    Nikki
    www.thebasics1.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great iced coffee idea! I've never really tried drinking anything out of a mason jar before but it sounds like a fun way to spruce things up. I really want to get a Keurig to try different blends out. Maybe one day! Stay warm! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Loving those pudgey baby fingers! I can never seem to get iced coffee right when I make it at home! My awesome recyclable iced coffee cup sits there, just looking at me going "why... it's summer... why aren't you using meeeeee!" I'll have to give it another whirl I think :)

    teapotsandtrinkets.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ahhh Harpers adorable! I cannot wait to switch from hot coffee to iced when my internal "Iced coffee season" begins. It always hits me mid-spring. I think it'll kick in a little earlier this year... my little one is due in March!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have at least one iced coffee a day in our keurig. We get starbucks verona k-cups at costco. It's the best!

    ReplyDelete
  12. LOVE the vest. I saw it at Dick's the other day and almost bought it... but refrained since I spent most of our budget this month last month haha
    Harper is as adorable as ever :) Love the sweater onesie, Gap has the best winter rompers :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. If you don't mind me asking...what program do you use to create your 'mood/collage boards' ??
    Also, love your blog; you seriously crack me up :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I freeze my coffee in an ice cube tray and use those cubes to cool my coffee and keep it from being diluted! A must for someone who likes their coffee strong!

    ReplyDelete
  15. She is so adorable, I can't believe Valentines Day is on it's way. Time to break out the pink and ruffled items.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Such an adorable little girl! I dig her gap one piece & the owl on the front seals the deal, no idea why putting forest animals on kids stuff is so adorable, I'm a tad jealous myself

    ReplyDelete
  17. I drink out of my mason jar also!! Don't ya just love the Keurig!!???

    ReplyDelete
  18. I did winter favorites on my blog today too (well more outfit staples) but can't believe how bog Harper is getting -- she's such a little lady now! xo

    http://allthingsprettyandlittle.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  19. what is Harper's high chair? I am on the hunt for a wooden one just like that but I'm only finding Eddie Bauer ones.

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I've seen that Chapstick but haven't tried it, do you love it? They have those happy socks for little ones and target!! $6! You should check them out :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Can't wait for coffee again! Iced especially. 15 weeks and counting! Loving Harper's sweet little bow!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Harper keeps getting prettier! Can't wait to see what she has coming for her B-day!! Miss you all! -jael

    ReplyDelete
  23. First picture of Harper! Precious, busy girl!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Fun!! Can you go over your beauty routine also!!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Yum! We use The Pioneer Woman's recipe for iced coffee and love it! It's a pain to do, but it makes enough to last for a while. We store it in mason jars in our fridge so it's always ready to go.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Harper is just darling as always!

    ReplyDelete
  27. I was looking for this post the other day. thanks for linking it! I will be trying this in our keurig tomorrow. I love iced coffee in mason jars....just like I have to eat my ice cream from an oversized mug.

    www.twobytwomom.com

    ReplyDelete